If using these materials in your program, please acknowledge FH (using this logo), the authors, and appropriate USAID agency as noted in the acknowledgments of each document.
Set 1: PMTCT
The following module was developed by the CDC, AIDSTAR and others; and was adapted by Food for the Hungry. No lesson plans are included. Topics include the following: HIV defined, transmission and prevention; HIV testing and counseling, safe delivery for the HIV positive woman and her child, HIV positive feeding options and care for mother and child postpartum.
- (2013) Flipchart in Kirundi, Part 1: MSWord or PDF
- (2013) Flipchart in Kirundi, Part 2: MSWord or PDF
- The original French materials: HIV Pretesting and Post-testing Cards
Set 2: Maternal and Child Care
The following care group modules were developed by Food for the Hungry for care groups of 10-12 women. The materials are designed to teach household- level behaviors to prevent maternal and child malnutrition and death. Each module contains a A3 flip chart with a corresponding A4 lesson plan. The materials are used to teach mothers in small groups once every two weeks for up to two years. Games, activities and discussions noted in the flip chart are described in detail in the corresponding lesson plan. Note: All flip charts contain culturally appropriate illustrations for the specific country. Beginning with module 4, pictures are only available in the translated Kirundi documents. English flipcharts only include the text or “key messages”.
Facilitation Cues: How do illiterate mothers train others in a participatory manner? Watch this interactive presentation in English or Spanish to learn how FH uses images to train low-literate volunteers to teach others.
The five modules are broken down by the stages of pregnancy and child development. Each module covers the essential hygiene, sanitation and nutritional actions for pregnant mothers and children from infancy through 24 months of age. A summary of all key messages was created for one-on-one counseling. See the Picture Card below.
- (2012) Picture Card in Kirundi- PDF
- (2012) Picture Card in English (with captions)- Winzip
- (2012) Picture Card in English (without captions) Pub or PDF
Module 1: Introduction to Care Groups (6 Lessons): This module provides and introduction to the methods and purpose of care groups. Participants will learn teaching techniques, care group responsibilities, and monitoring principles for care groups. Additionally, participants will learn about the value of children and personal change.
- (2009) Flip Chart in Kirundi: PDF
- (2009) Flip Chart in English: MSWord or PDF
- (2009) Lesson Plan in Kirundi: PDF
- (2009) Lesson Plan in English: MSWord or PDF
Module 2: ENAs/EHAs Actions and Other Important Care during Pregnancy (9 Lessons): This module includes: antenatal care, maternal nutrition, and anemia prevention through iodized salt and iron rich foods. It also teaches about hand washing stations, prevention of malaria, and preparation for birth, delivery, and newborn care practices.
- (2010) Flip Chart in Kirundi: PDF
- (2010) Flip Chart in English: MSWord or PDF
- (2010) Lesson Plan in Kirundi: MSWord or PDF
- (2010) Lesson Plan in English: MSWord
Module 3: ENAs and EHAs during Early Infancy (13 lessons): These lessons explain and discuss postpartum care, exclusive breastfeeding, breastfeeding problems, danger signs during childhood illness, clinical services for children, men’s involvement, child spacing, water and sanitation, and malaria transmission, care, and prevention.
- (2010) Flip Chart in Kirundi: PDF
- (2010) Flip Chart, Part 1 in English: MSWord or PDF
- (2010) Flip Chart, Part 2 in English: MSWord or PDF
- (2010) Lesson Plan in Kirundi: Part 1 and Part 2
- (2010) Lesson Plan in English: Part 1 and Part 2
Module 4: ENAs and EHAs during Late Infancy and Childhood (10 Lessons): This module explains nutrient rich foods for complementary feeding, techniques and appropriate feeding practices. It also teaches about snacks, Vitamin A rich foods, deworming, food storage practices, and the distribution of foods in a family.
- (2010) Flip Chart in Kirundi: MSWord or PDF
- (2010) Flipchart Key Messages in English
- (2010) Lesson Plan in Kirundi: Kirundi
- (2010) Lesson Plan in English: MSWord or PDF
Module 5: Management of Common Childhood Infections that lead to Malnutrition ( 8 Lessons): This module introduces dehydration and ORS use for children, proper feeding of sick children, prevention and management of diarrhea, prevention of pneumonia, home gardening, antibiotic compliance and family distribution of foods.
- (2011) Flip Chart in Kirundi: MSWord or PDF
- (2011) Flip Chart Key Messages in English
- (2011) Lesson Plan in Kirundi
- (2011) Lesson Plan in English